Thursday 29 November 2012

A Whole Nation (Part 1)

Why do new projects always show up before weeks of exams?

'Early adopter' Derek (and his blog) convinced the already weak-minded (when it comes to miniatures) '2nd generation early adopter' that I am to spend my money on...

Dystopian Legions

With a ''Federated States of America'' (aka FSA) starter.
Just for you, dear reader I'll do a quick review of what you get in a FSA starter.




Part 1: Opening the Box

Damn right there's a lot of content in that box!
 A rulebook, bases in a bag, game cards, dice, a plastified chart, plastic 'ruler'?, cardboard tokens and minis wrapped in bubble-wrap. WOW! More stuff than I was expecting, but then again, you are paying for all this.
Faction Cards

This is something to be noted: Faction Game Cards are back!!! I play Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas from Spartan and always thought that the faction specific power cards from Uncharted Seas were a really cool thing that should've been in Dystopian and Firestorm starters too.
These power cards usually bring a nice flavor to the gameplay of your faction on the battlefield.

FSA Infantrymen

Here comes the FSA infantrymen, they were all on piece so assembly was, of course, a dream.

Buffalo Hunters in the middle, Scouts on the sides

These bad guys on the other hand...Both Scouts required assembly and I must say it wasn't that bad, there was A LOT of flash to remove from the jumping Scout though.

Jumping Scout, probably my favorite mini out of this starter


The guys on small bases are additions to the FSA Infantrymen: The Sergeant and a guy with a machine-gun, Dr.Samuel R. Orlington and a FSA Officer in the center. 


14!!

For a grand total of 14 guys!!! 14 finely detailed metal models, definitely worth your money!

Pluses and Minuses of the Dystopian Legions FSA Starter


The Pluses:
-All 6 Infantrymen are one piece...and they look good!
-Buffalo Hunters and Scouts are superb!
-Faction Cards are back!
-Not a lot of flash or mould lines (except for the jumping scout which was a real 'flashfest')

Minuses:
-No assembly guide? Are Buffalo Hunters really going on medium bases?? Why do I have a Buffalo Hunting Rifle left that doesn't appear on any 3D render?
-FSA, despite its awesome models is a little less impressive than the Kingdom of Britannia and Prussian Starter...in the end it's a matter of taste.
-14 finely detailed metal models + all gaming aids does cost some money. This starter has a retail price of 67.50$Can (Hopefully I get to sell this Baneblade of mine ;))


Why is there a Buffalo Hunting Rifle left?


Now I can hear people that know me asking <<why FSA and not the Kingdom of Britannia (aka KoB)? You already have a Dystopian Wars fleet for the KoB, why not take the troops for Legions?>>

A Whole Nation (Part 1)

For two reasons:
1-The only player for Dystopian Legions I know is Derek and he just picked the only starter for KoB. Not only am I an impulsive buyer but I also don't like mirror matches.
2-Two or three weeks ago I came across a deal for:

A Full  FSA Naval Starter + a FSA Armoured Starter

Naval Starter

Armoured Starter (there was a mispack so instead of artillery I have more medium tanks)
Yes, This could have motivated my choice, this and the awesome previews of what's to come, below is an example of what I mean by ''awesome''.

The FSA Air Cavalry Officer (all rights to Spartan Games)

All I can say is: 2013 will be a busy busy year!

Thanks for reading, and if you have spare money, check out this game: models look way better in your hands than on any computer screen.

guru (and his new camera!)

No comments:

Post a Comment